Monday 18 April 2016

Being A Leader


Turning 18 meant that I was no longer an Explorer Scout (It also meant that I was legally an adult, WOW!). However, I wasn’t ready to give up on my Scouting adventures just yet. Becoming a leader allowed me to give something back to the Scout group that provided me with so many fantastic, once in a life time opportunities which helped shape me into the person I am today.

All grown up!

I started off as an Assistant Beaver Scout Leader, so this includes kids aged 5-8. I had a great time with the Beavers and it was amazing being able to assist in their scouting journeys. However, it didn’t take me long to recognise that I really missed all the great adventures of regularly hiking, abseiling, climbing and camping. Which is when I decided to join the Explorer Scout Section.
Being a younger leader, not long out of Explorers myself was a distinct advantage to me and the Scouts. I had a good understanding of what they liked and disliked which allowed me to effectively contribute when planning weekly programmes and activities. When I was in Scouts and Explorers, one thing which the majority of us really disliked was what we called the ‘boring stuff’ this included learning knots and lashings, navigation and basically all the useful things like first aid. Now that I am older, I really appreciate that my leaders drummed all these useful skills into our heads over the years. But at the time, I just always wanted to play games and get out and do some fun activities. So, with this in mind, whenever I am planning the weekly programme and things which the explorers may find boring are include, I always try and make it a little bit more fun for them by turning it into a game or even a relay race between the patrols- one thing us Scouts love is a bit of competition.

I am still learning so much being an Assistant Explorer Scout Leader and hope to continue to learn and grow. It is such a worthwhile experience, even though it can be hard work. After all, the Explorers do need ‘responsible’ adults to accompany them on all their amazing and fun adventures- bonus! 



About Unknown

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Tracking